Greenhill gardens refurbishment
This house in Edinburgh's Greenhill gardens was originally built in 1850. In 1950 the architect Esme Gordon moved into the house and carried out a number of alterations over the next 15 years. A neo-classical stairway and front hall was formed as well as a large bow-ended drawing room. The current owners wanted to connect the house better with the rear garden and to make the dark, damp and cold service wing useable and brought together with the main house. So, the solution was to build a new garden room between the bow ended living room and the service wing, creating a better connection between the house and the rear. Large sliding doors give access to the garden and a pyramid cupola adds balance to Esme Gordon's bow window. The service wing was partially demolished with only the rear wall standing, in order to damp-proof the structure and to rebuild the wing with insulation to meet modern requirements. This became a master bedroom suite with a large bedroom and bathroom, built in storage walls as well as downstairs cloakroom and storage spaces. The front wall was then timber framed and cedar clad to add warmth and a more tactile façade treatment. Solar thermal panels were added to the roof and the drafty and cold Esme Gordon bow window was reglazed with double glazing.